Daylight Savings

I'm a few hours late in posting this morning, but as the saying goes, better late than never!

As we're turning the clocks forward tonight, I thought I'd do some research on Daylight Savings time. Why? You may ask... Well with my recent novel idea time and passages between worlds is a big factor, so I thought I'd look into how time works for us and how we 'bend' it to our will as such through shifting times to gain more productive hours. It's like leap years, they fascinate me too, I was very nearly born on a leap day, but actually popped out 4 days late (must have been procrastinating in the womb!).

Daylight savings was initially adopted to take advantage of more daylight hours, though there has been a constant argument on its benefits since it was introduced. Advocates of Daylight Savings say that it saves energy, promotes outdoor leisure in the summer evenings and reduces crime and accidents as there is more light in the evenings. 

However, those opposed to adopting Daylight Savings argue that the energy savings are inconclusive, disrupts morning activities and that changing the clocks twice a year is economically and socially disruptive. Nowadays many modern electronic devices update their times automatically to allow for daylight savings. For myself, it is only the kitchen clock and the one in my car which I need to amend manually. 

Also I would say personally I'm an advocate of Daylight Savings. I love taking Penny for walks in the field on a pleasant summer evening and also from the other end of the year, when we turn the clocks back in October, I enjoy that few more extra weeks of waking up to sunlight. There are so many depressing winter months where I go to work and travel home in the dark, without seeing the outdoors during the daylight hours, so it's a welcome sight for me! 

What do you think of Daylight Savings? Is it a help or hindrance?

Comments