My signature pasta sauce

As it's day 2 of lent, I thought I'd share a healthy eating recipe. Now I can't promise that it's fat free but it's good hearty food and I know everything that went into it.



It's a scrummy comfort food and we tend to have it on average about once a week. I always make about 3-4 people's worth so me and hubby can have our evening meal then there is some left over to microwave up the following day. I'm also posting as I'm currently reviewing both the pasta and cheddar cheese used for Orchard at Tesco.

Scrumptious Midweek Pasta
Ingredients:
Pasta - I'm using Finest* Tesco Gigli Pasta
Broccoli, cut into small florets
1 tbsp Garlic flavoured olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic crushed
1 large onion, diced
Bacon - approx 2 rashers per person (Sometimes I also used chicken in this recipe in place of the bacon)
Mushrooms
1tsp Paprika
Seasoning - salt and pepper to taste
1tsp Mixed herbs
1tbsp Light soft or cream cheese
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
Worcester sauce
Grated cheddar to serve - I'm using Finest* Tesco Jersey mature cheddar

1. Boil kettle and pour boiled water into a medium saucepan. Add pasta and broccoli. Keep stirring periodically.
2. In a separate large frying pan fry add garlic oil, garlic and onion. After a minute or so add the bacon. Wait until the bacon is cooked through and add mushrooms, paprika, seasoning and mixed herbs.
3. Once all of these ingredients are cooked together and softened, add the tin of tomatoes, stir through and add cream cheese and worcester sauce. 
4. After approx. 10-12 minutes the pasta and broccoli should be cooked. Drain the water off then add pasta to the pan containing the sauce.
5. Stir pasta into sauce, serve and top with grated cheddar.

I must say that on reviewing the pasta, it looks aesthetically pleasing in the bowl, and tastes lovely. The texture of the pasta really holds the sauce and the flavours complement each other perfectly. The added mature cheddar cheese on the top gives the plate more interest and helps to bring out the cream cheese within the dish too!



If you try my recipe drop me a comment to let me know what you think. 

Also if you can get on to a product testing experience with your chosen supermarket, it's well worth researching. I can't praise Tesco's Orchard programme enough, they offer me the chance to try products I maybe wouldn't normally try and also I've me discounts to pass on to friends and family for them to take advantage of the offers too!

Like this recipe? Why not try my Spaghetti Bolognese too!


Comments