Recipe of the Week: Lemon and Blueberry muffins

Hi guys!

As an attempt to organise and give my blog some kind of routine, I've decided to introduce 'Recipe of the Week' every Wednesday. Here, I'll be posting a recipe I've cooked this week, whether its a tried and tested family favourite or an experiment, and how I got on.

First up is Lemon and Blueberry muffins. Purely because I bought a tub of blueberries and some lemons for pancake day last week and have the rest of the blueberries to use up. I love blueberry muffins for breakfast, and these don't disappoint!



Lemon and Blueberry Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

Ingredients:
  • 250g plain flour
  • 25g cornflour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 100g caster sugar
  • Zest of 1 lemon (minus 1tsp for topping)
  • 2 eggs
  • 90g melted butter
  • 220ml whole milk
  • 125g blueberries
For the topping:
  • 45g plain flour
  • 25g caster sugar
  • 1tsp lemon zest
  • 25g butter
  • 10g hazelnuts, smashed 
Recipe:
1. Preheat fan oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. First make the topping. Sift flour, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl. Rub butter into this until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add hazelnuts. Press the mixture together in cling film and place in freezer to set.
3. Sift flour, cornflour, baking powder, caster sugar and rest of lemon zest in another bowl.
4. In a separate bowl slowly melt the butter in the microwave, cool slightly then add the eggs and milk.
5. Stir milky liquid into the flour mixture until fully combined. Fold blueberries into the mixture, then spoon the mixture into muffin cases.
6. Take 'topping ball' out of the freezer and grate over muffin mix in cases.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.

The muffins look beautiful with the crumble topping and the flavours all come through well, my only criticism is that because I ran out of muffin cases I decided to make 24 'mini-muffins' in cupcake cases instead and because of this, there isn't enough 'muffin' below the crust. This is my own fault though and I'll be looking to try this recipe again in future but will make sure I have muffin cases in the house before I begin!

Like this recipe? Why not try my Rhubarb Muffin Cakes too?

Comments