Recipe of the Week: Tasty Midweek Stroganoff

This week's recipe of the week is my midweek stroganoff. It's a very versatile recipe and you can use strips of good quality beef (we use sirloin usually) or chicken from raw, but today, due to the 'chicken dilemma' of last week, I'll be using cooked chicken.


Here's the finished article. It's packed full of vegetables, and due to using cooked chicken, took only 10 minutes to prepare!

Ingredients (serves 2-3 people)


  • knob of butter
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Mushrooms (approx 5 large button mushrooms)
  • 2tsp smoked paprika
  • 1tbsp worcester sauce
  • 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • Cooked chicken (if using raw chicken or steak, seal the meat in the pan before starting the recipe)
  • 300ml chicken stock
  • good glug of brandy
  • frozen mixed peppers (if using fresh peppers, add at the same stage as the mushrooms)
  • 3-4tbsp creme fraiche
  • Spinach
  • Rice, chips or mash to serve

Right, I'll walk you through the recipe. Firstly, I melted the knob of butter in the frying pan and added the onion and garlic.
Next, once the onions had softened slightly, I added mushrooms, paprika, worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar.
Then, when all the ingredients were coated and the mushrooms had began to soften, I added the cooked chicken.
Once the chicken was coated in all the flavours and browned slightly, I added the chicken stock and a good glut of brandy to the dish.
I then allowed the dish to simmer for a good 2-3 minutes to allow the stock to reduce by half. Once this was done I added some frozen peppers and the creme fraiche to the pan.
When the creme fraice is all stirred into the dish it should look something like this...
You can serve the dish how it is at this point as a more authentic stroganoff meal, however to add some more colour and because I needed to use it up, I added spinach to the dish.
This dish can be served with chips or mashed potato, but last night, for ease, I decided to use a microwaveable rice. Just pop it into the microwave for two minutes and it's done!
So there you have it. A great quick and flavoursome recipe to be enjoyed by all the family! As always, please drop me a comment if you decide to try the dish. Let me know if you have any improvements too! 

Love Jo xxx

Comments