This yummy recipe is an adaption to a cupcake recipe. I've tried making rhubarb sponge cupcakes in the past but the cake to rhubarb ratio doesn't seem to work, however with larger quantities of cake mix in each cake case it's perfect. I used frozen rhubarb leftover from my garden last year but it works just as well with fresh!
Ingredients for 12 muffins:
170g self-raising flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
170g soft margarine
170g caster sugar
few drops vanilla
200g rhubarb, sliced
3tbsp granulated sugar
1. Add rhubarb and granulated sugar into a pan over a low heat to soften.
2. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and caster sugar. Add the margarine, eggs and vanilla essence and thoroughly mix with a hand whisk.
4. Divide half of the cake mix across all 12 of the muffin cases, making sure the mix covers the bottom of each case.
5. Drain any liquid from the softened rhubarb mix and divide the rhubarb across all the cake cases.
6. Using the rest of the sponge mix, cover the rhubarb with cake mix, it doesn't matter if a little rhubarb is still showing.
7. Put the cakes in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out cleanly.
8. Once cooled you can either drizzle icing over the cakes, turn out of their cases and serve with custard or simply eat them as they are!
Hope you enjoyed this yummy recipe. Let me know if you did!
Also, why not try my Lemon and Blueberry Muffins!