Recipe of the month: Potato, bacon, cabbage and cheese bake

Happy Monday folks! So far so good, 3 posts in the last 3 weeks!  I've also jazzed up the look of my site too, hope you like it!

Today I'd like to share a recipe. This is a family favourite! Potato, bacon, cabbage and cheese bake. We like to have this as a midweek meal on it's own, as shown here, or alternatively it can be served alongside a nice steak for a dinner party.


OK, so first off part cook a small shredded savoy cabbage in salted boiling water. It should be partly cooked in about 3 minutes.


In a separate frying pan, cook your bacon to your preference, I like it just on the verge of crispy. As a healthy alternative, you can grill the bacon instead if you wish.


Next, begin to layer slices of potato with grated cheddar cheese and seasoning. I sometimes use the food processor for getting wafer thin slices of potato, but it also works well just using a knife for a more rustic dish. Also, sometimes I just scrub the potatoes instead of peeling, but again it's whatever you like best! 


Add a layer of cabbage and bacon.


Keep going in this fashion until the dish is full. Finish with a potato and cheese layer. Typically I use 4 potato layers and 3 bacon and cabbage layers. Top with additional cheese to your preference.


Put in the oven at 190c for about 40 minutes or until the cheese and top layer of potatoes begin to brown and crisp up.


Voila! A tasty midweek meal for the whole family. We normally reheat leftovers in the microwave the following day too. Let me know what you think of it! 

Comments