Recipe of the Month: Tuna steak with roasted vegetables and bulgar wheat

This month, I thought I'd show you all another quick, easy and incredibly healthy meal, it's mega tasty too! When I first heard about bulgar wheat from a friend, I thought it'd be a horrendously bland and boring 'healthy' food. However, after giving it a try I'm a complete convert. Although it is a little like rice when cooked in water, if a stock cube is added the bulgar wheat absorbs and somehow magnifies the flavour, making the dish have 'wow' factor! Try it for yourself, you'll see what I mean...



Ingredients (serves 2 people)
1 x Carrot, peeled and chopped
1 x Courgette, washed and chopped
1 x Sweet potato, peeled
1 x Green pepper, sliced
6-8 Mushrooms, cut into chunks
1 x Red onion, cut into chunks
2 x Frozen Tuna Steaks
Garlic olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Sprinkle of Sesame seeds

100g Bulgar Wheat
400ml water
1 x vegetable stock cube

Instructions: 
Preheat the oven to 180°c. Line a baking tray with tin foil and add some garlic oil to prevent the vegetables from sticking.Chop all of the vegetables and lay on the baking tray. Drizzle with a little more oil then top with the frozen tuna steaks. Pour about 1tbsp of balsamic vinegar over each steak and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Place in the oven.

After the tuna and vegetables have been cooking for 15 minutes, tip the vegetable stock (dissolved in water) to the bulgar wheat. Give this a quick stir to combine and leave on a low heat for 15 minutes.

Once the tuna and vegetables are cooked they should look like this. If you prefer your tuna slightly raw in the centre, you can always begin cooking the vegetables and add the tuna after 5 minutes instead.
 Voila! The finished dish, simply scoop the bulgar wheat out of the pan and dish up the tuna and vegetables. The bulgar wheat should have soaked up all of the water from the stock.

I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I do, as an alternative, you can also try this with salmon, chicken or any other meat. The vegetables are also interchangeable based on preference too, sometimes I add aubergine and scallions. Let me know if you do try it, drop me a comment below!

Comments